- 3/4 Size Guitar
- 3/4 Classical, Acoustic, or Electric Guitar?
- Best 3/4 Size Guitars
- 1) Yamaha CGS103A
- 2) Yamaha JR1 FG Junior
- 3) Fender FA-15
- 4) Oscar Schmidt OG1FYS
- 5) Ibanez GRGM21MJB
- 6) Fender Squier
- 7) Ortega Family Series
- 8) Donner 36” Dreadnought
- 9) Ibanez 3/4 Mini Dreadnought
- 10) Cordoba Cadete Classical
3/4 Size Guitar
Are you thinking about picking up a 3/4 size guitar? Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced player, there are some things you need to know before making your purchase. In this guide, we’ll take a look at the pros and cons of 3/4 size guitars, and we’ll also offer some tips on choosing the right model for your needs. So whether you’re just starting out, or you’re looking for a more compact option, read on for all the info you need!
3/4 Classical, Acoustic, or Electric Guitar?
Since 3/4 size guitars are one of the most sold instruments on today’s market, there is a wide variety available for purchase. First and foremost you need to know if your plan is an acoustic instrument with steel strings or an electric model? Then it becomes important what type: classical nylon-stringed guitar; semi-acoustic strings that can also be plugged into an amplifier at will (these usually come in sets alongside another more stable sound like a piano); even inexpensive hollow-body instruments perfect as starter pack when first getting acquainted with music-making technology but not really heavy enough considering their lower quality sonically compared other models mentioned here so far.
For beginners, the nylon string guitar is a better choice. The strings are more comfortable and easier to press down on than other types of metal ones which can be painful for your fingers after extended use!
The sound of an acoustic steel-string guitar is much louder and fuller than other types. It’s the typical music we know from pop stars like Steven Tyler or Bob Marley, so if your child already knows how to play it then this may be a good choice for them!
Best 3/4 Size Guitars
There are some really nice acoustic steel-string guitars in 3/4 size. Some popular guitar brands have at least one 3/4 size model with steel strings and most of them are also pretty affordable. However, a steel-string guitar for beginners normally costs more than a Classical nylon string guitar.
I started playing the guitar on Yamaha and I still like to play it. That’s why I also highly recommend Yamaha guitars for kids because they are great beginner instruments with a good price-quality ratio that will be comfortable from the start. Other than that, I have compiled a list of guitars that I think all are pretty good in the size of 3/4 Guitars. Let’s take a look!.
1) Yamaha CGS103A
The Yamaha CGS103A is a 3/4 size youth guitar and it’s really worth the money. It’s a nylon string guitar with a spruce top, which ensures a good sound quality. For the neck, Yamaha has chosen Nato which I find quite comfortable to play. All in all, it has got a very good finish and a nice sound for a reasonable price. It’s a high recommendation for all parents looking for an affordable guitar under $200.
- Spruce top with Nato wood for the neck which is comfortable to play
- Very affordable price under $200
- Not as loud as a steel-string guitar
- Doesn’t come with any accessories such as a bag or picks.
2) Yamaha JR1 FG Junior
Yamaha also got a great 3/4 size steel string guitar for kids and youth, the Yamaha FG JR 1 which is a really great guitar. I already had the opportunity to play on it and it was a lot of fun even if you are not a child. It lays just very comfortably in your hands and the sound has got its own little magic. In my opinion, this is the best 3/4 acoustic guitar for kids. The value for money is incredibly good and your child will definitely use it later on as a travel guitar. It comes in a package with a gig bag and a tuner, which are really important when starting playing the guitar.
- Very comfortable for children to hold
- With bag, tuner, and extra strings included in the package
- A nice sound that suits playing at home or outside
- Perfect travel guitar for children
- Not a full-sized guitar, but for this price, I don’t see any big downside.
3) Fender FA-15
A very famous guitar brand is Fender. They are especially known for their electric guitars and many rock stars play on electric guitars from Fender. They also offer entry-level guitars and the FA-15 is their 3/4 sized acoustic guitar. This guitar looks pretty nice with its finish and is a good quality beginner guitar. Thanks to the steel strings the guitar sounds much louder and brighter than a classical guitar in the same size. It just sounds more like a guitar that we are used to from rock and pop songs.
- The guitar has a lot of volume for being a 3/4 sized guitar.
- The finish looks nice and gives the guitar a touch of class.
- The guitar is not very versatile and only sounds good for some styles.
4) Oscar Schmidt OG1FYS
When looking for an acoustic guitar for kids you should also take a look at the guitars from Oscar Schmidt. Oscar Schmidt is a manufacturer that has a guitar building history of more than 100 years. They are well-known for their good beginner acoustic guitars. The Oscar Schmidt OG is a nice starter guitar with a solid sound and a good finish. The guitar is available in different colors and I am sure one of the models will attract your child as well.
- Good quality for the price
- Available in different colors
- Good sound
- Easy to play, even for beginner guitarists
- Flat fretboard
5) Ibanez GRGM21MJB
This Ibanez Electric Guitar is the perfect instrument for any beginner or intermediate player. It’s small and lightweight, making it easy to handle and play anywhere. With its high output Infinity R pickups, this guitar can produce a variety of tones that are sure to please any guitarist. This is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to start playing but doesn’t want to break the bank in doing so.
You won’t find another guitar like it on the market today! It has everything you need as a beginning musician – all at an affordable price point! If you want something that will help you grow as a musician without breaking your budget, then look no further than Ibanez GRGM21MJB 3/4 Size Mikro Electric Guitar.
- The price point is a major pro.
- It has a nice tone for an inexpensive guitar.
- It’s small size makes it easier for smaller hands to play.
- It’s not nearly as versatile as some other guitars
- The electronics are not as good as some other guitars
6) Fender Squier
The Fender Squier 3/4 Size is a great beginner’s guitar. It has three single-coil Stratocaster pickups, which give it that classic sound. Plus, the vintage-style tremolo bridge gives you more control over your tone and pitch. And with its comfortable “C”-shaped neck profile, you can play all day without getting tired or sore hands. You also get free access to Fender Play, which makes learning how to play the guitar fun and easy!
This instrument is perfect for beginners who want to learn how to play the guitar but don’t have much experience yet! It comes in two colors – black or brown sunburst – so there are options for everyone. With this deal from Guitar Center, you even get a padded gig bag, an instrument cable, and a strap included at no extra cost!
- Easy to hold
- Has 3 single-coil Stratocaster pickups, which give it that classic sound.
- Vintage-style tremolo bridge gives you more control over your tone and pitch.
- Comfortable “C”-shaped neck profile, can play all day without getting tired or sore.
- The lower frets on the guitar can be difficult to reach for some players
- The strap included is not very high quality
7) Ortega Family Series
The Ortega Guitar is the perfect instrument for beginners. It’s designed to be easy to play and sounds great, so it’s an ideal choice for children who are just starting out on the guitar.
This 3/4 size classical nylon string guitar has been carefully crafted with your child in mind. It features a comfortable neck that makes playing simple, as well as quality materials like cedar top and mahogany back & sides that make it sound rich and full of life.
- The guitar is light, so it’s easy to hold
- The strings are nice and close to the frets
- Making it easier for younger players to press down and make a clear sound
- The open tuners help with tuning, which is always a challenge for beginners
- The guitar comes with its own gig bag
- The strings are closer to the fret than normal, so they can be treacherous for beginners
- The headstock is smaller than regular guitars
8) Donner 36” Dreadnought
Donner 36 inch Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar is the perfect choice for beginners. It’s easy to play and sounds great, too! The dreadnought body style provides rich bass tones while still being clear enough for fingerpicking. With its 3/4 size, it’s also comfortable and easy to hold. This guitar set comes with everything you need to get started right away – just add an amp!. If you want a well-made beginner acoustic that will sound good and last, then look no further than Donner 36 inch Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Kit.
- Very comfortable and easy to hold
- Comes with everything you need to get started right away – just add an amp!
- Well-made guitar set
- Great sounding dreadnought body style
- No cons, highly recommended!
9) Ibanez 3/4 Mini Dreadnought
The Ibanez Mini Dreadnought is the perfect instrument for beginners and experienced players alike. It has a mahogany top, back, sides, and neck with an open-pore finish that provides a great tone. Other appointments include chrome tuners, a single rosette, black pickguard, and Ibanez Advantage bridge pins. This guitar also includes a gig bag so you can take it anywhere!
You’ll love playing this guitar because of its comfortable size and weigh perfect for travel or sitting on your couch at home. And when you want to plug in to amplify your sound through an amp or PA system it sounds just as good plugged in as it does unplugged thanks to its electronics package which features Fishman Presys II 301T preamp with a built-in tuner.
- Sounds great, whether you play it acoustically or through an amp.
- Lightweight and comfortable, making travel with it easy.
- Appreciative tonal qualities of this guitar.
- Built-in tuner to help you keep your instrument sounding its best.
- Not recommended for people with larger hands
- Has an open pore finish.
10) Cordoba Cadete Classical
The Cordoba Cadete 3/4 Size Classical Acoustic is the perfect instrument for anyone who wants to start playing classical guitar. It’s easy to play and sounds great, too! This lightweight acoustic has a solid Canadian cedar top with mahogany back and sides. Savarez Cristal Corum strings in High Tension, 500CJ give it an amazing sound that will inspire your creativity. And at just 927mm (36.5 inches) long, this little beauty is compact enough to take anywhere!
You can use your finger to quickly swipe between apps or zoom into photos, so everything feels fluid and natural on this larger display. With just one hand, you can easily reach content at the top of the screen without adjusting your grip or switching hands.
- Lightweight, solid cedar top
- Mahogany back and sides
- For beginners only
- Short neck, may not be long enough for taller players
Have you found the perfect 3/4 size guitar for your needs? Whether you’re looking to start playing or want a more compact option as an experienced player, we hope this guide has been helpful. Happy hunting!